Ransomware is one of the fastest growing malware threats today, with an average of 4,000 ransomware incidents occurring every day. This figure is up 300% since 2015 and helps explain why the World Economic Forum has identified cyber attacks as one of the top five global risks.
So, what can we do to fight against these attacks as well as protect our own data?
Introducing fully immutable files
The solution lies in Cloudian’s HyperStore® object storage and the new Veeam Availability Suite v10 that provides ransomware protection within an end-to-end, on-premises and cloud backup architecture.
The Cloudian-Veeam solution supports S3 Object Lock, enabling customers to make backup data copies immutable and, therefore, invulnerable to hacker encryption or deletion. This data immutability—validated in U.S. government certification testing—ensures the availability of an uninfected copy for reliable recovery in the event of a ransomware attack.
What is object lock and why is it so important?
Object lock makes your data immutable. This means it cannot be deleted or changed by anyone- not even the highest-level admin on the S3 storage.
Because both Cloudian supports S3 Object Lock, and with the new integration with Veeam, the solution enables customers to protect backup copies from ransomware encryption and restore a clean backup in the event of an attack.
In addition, the solution provides comprehensive data protection benefits, including:
- Advanced security features such as secure shell, integrated firewall, RBAC/IAM access controls, AES-256 server-side encryption for data at rest and SSL for data in transit, as well as HyperStore’s certification with U.S. Department of Defense and SEC Rule 17a-4(f) security requirements.
- Fast restores—much faster than public cloud services—because backup copies are stored on-premises, on a disk-based object storage target.
- Modular and limitless scalability, allowing enterprises to start small and expand without disruption.
- Geo-distribution for easy storage management across multiple data centres and hybrid cloud environments – all from a single pane of glass.
- Public cloud replication for disaster recovery.
- Cost savings of up to 70% over traditional disk- and tape-based.
- The Cloudian-Veeam solution can also serve as a platform for ransomware protection-as-a-service and, in the case of VMware Cloud Providers, can deliver single-point management via VMware vCloud Director.
“This new Cloudian-Veeam solution reflects our continued collaboration in helping customers protect their digital assets in the face of evolving threats,” said Danny Allan, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President, product strategy at Veeam.
“Preventing a ransomware attack has become increasingly difficult, so we’re focused on ensuring users can quickly and easily recover from such an attack—that’s the peace of mind that we’re delivering with on-premises S3 Object Lock in the new Veeam Availability Suite v10.”
How to keep your data secure
To help you keep your data secure, Evros is partnering with Cloudian to provide hardened malware protection for all of our customers.
“With the ever-increasing threat from ransomware, we saw a compelling need for data immutability in our data protection offerings,” said Danny McEntee, Operations Manager at Evros Technology Group.
“S3 object lock, which is supported by the new Cloudian-Veeam solution, means that ransomware and malware will not be able to delete or encrypt your backup data while it is object locked. This provides ultimate peace of mind for our customers as they can be sure that their data protection compliance is at its highest.
“Moreover, S3 based storage is highly cost-effective, giving you and your business a very real and achievable platform to build upon for your data protection strategy,” he says.
Cloudian is the most widely deployed independent provider of object storage systems, with the industry’s most advanced S3 compatibility and an extensive partnership ecosystem. Its award-winning flagship solution, HyperStore, provides limitless scalability and cloud-like technology, flexibility and economics in the data centre.
Cloudian’s global data fabric architecture enables enterprises to store, find and protect object and file data seamlessly across sites, both on-premises and in public clouds, within a single, unified platform.
Find out more
If you would like to know more about the different services we offer around Cloudian and Veeam, get in touch.