Linux has quickly become the fastest growing platform on Azure, with over 60% of Azure marketplace images being Linux-based. Additionally, more than 50% of VM cores run Linux on Azure. But why are we seeing such growth of Linux adoption in Microsoft Azure?
Over 10 years ago, the true potential of open source was realised and that it was something that every developer could benefit from. It was around this time that Microsoft open sourced ASP.NET and has since welcomed the open-source community, offering Linux as an option for Azure customers and even using it to run some of their own operations.
So, what makes Linux such a good fit for Azure?
What Are the Benefits of Open Hybrid Solutions?
If you’re not familiar with the benefits of open source, it is incredibly valuable for all, not just programmers, because it unlocks the potential of many more people to become innovators than a closed-source model. Some common reasons for using open source technologies include increased collaboration across teams, flexibility, overall cost efficiencies and enhanced reliability.
Linux is a free, open source operating system, released under the GNU General Public Licence (GPL). Anyone can run, study, modify and redistribute the source code, as long as they do so under the same licence. Linux is an open, reliable and secure platform designed for those who want deployment flexibility for their business-critical workloads – from datacentre to Azure.
Does Microsoft Support Linux?
Microsoft has come a long way since 2009 when they open-sourced ASP.NET and embraced the open-source wave. Now, you can run your applications and manage workloads securely and efficiently with your preferred Linux distribution partner on Azure. Azure supports common Linux distributions including Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Oracle Linux, and Flatcar Linux. You can create your own Linux virtual machines (VMs), deploy and run containers in Kubernetes, or choose from hundreds of pre-configured images and Linux workloads available in Azure Marketplace.
Why Choose Microsoft Azure for Linux?
Running your application and workloads with Linux on Azure has many benefits. For example, from deploying Red Hat’s open, enterprise-grade software stack on Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform, Red Hat and Microsoft cloud solutions deliver choice and flexibility for hybrid cloud deployments that are backed by tightly integrated, enterprise-grade support from both Red Hat and Microsoft. The combination of two industry-leading technology providers enables IT operations managers to administer and secure complex hybrid infrastructure, streamline cloud costs, and build scalable, adaptable environments that prepare their organisation for the future. Some common reasons for using Linux on Azure include:
- Gain flexibility using the cloud for Linux distributions: Spend less time on administrative tasks with intuitive Linux open-source environment and application management tools.
- Builder Your Ideal Environment Faster: Designing the right cloud environment can help your organisation succeed in a fast-changing business landscape. For example, Red Hat and Microsoft cloud solutions deliver the features and functionality needed to quicky build a secure, reliable, and flexible hybrid cloud environment.
- Enhanced Security Capabilities: With Microsoft Azure, you are gaining industry-leading security capabilities. Easily detect threats, gain security and compliance insights, and simplify security operations with Azure Security Centre and Azure Sentinel.
- Get more for less: Extend your datacentre into a cloud environment that helps you get more from existing infrastructure investments, with reduced costs.
- Get Unified, Global Support: Microsoft provides unique integrated co-located support for Red Hat, SUSE, SAP and supported open source technologies running on Azure.
- Use Innovative Azure Solutions: Like Azure Red Hat OpenShift (ARO) you can combine all of the elements involved in complex application management such as image registries, storage management, networking solutions and logging and monitoring tools, into a single platform. This creates the ideal scenario of easier IT Ops and greater Dev facilitation and allows your teams to be correctly focused and more productive.
Learn More About Digitally Transforming Your Business with Hybrid Cloud Technologies
At Evros, we help our clients transform their businesses by leveraging open source technologies with our industry leading partners. As a Red Hat and Microsoft partner, Evros has the expertise and experience to ensure rapid development and delivery of enterprise open hybrid solutions in the cloud. Find out more about our Azure Cloud Solutions and Services. And you can also find out more about our work with Azure Red Hat OpenShift here, through our unique engagement, Azure Advance.